08 December 2006

Rodrigo y Gabriela


For those of you who'd like some new music, or have the time for some new music, might I recommend Rodrigo y Gabriela's album, Rodrigo y Gabriela. Hmm, I guess it is self-titled... They're a Mexican guitar duo from Dublin, Ireland (?) and they're really fun to listen to. There seems to be a pretty big bandwagon for them, and I tried to resist it, but I couldn't. I'm on the bandwagon. I just downloaded it today. They've released 2 other albums, but this is the first one to be released here in the states. I saw them on the Craig Ferguson Show (The Late Late Show) and have heard them on NPR's World Cafe (which, by the way, is a great show to listen to for great new "grown up" music). They'll be on Letterman on Dec. 18th.

Sounds like I'm being paid, doesn't it? I wish. Anyway, they combine flamenco, metal and folk into one acoustic blend. They also double as percussion. I'd love to see them live. If you enjoy Phil Keaggy, you'll love these guys. It's like two Phil Keaggy's on one album. I love acoustic guitar, and these two are amazing...and Gabriela's hot, too (another reason why I like them so). Click on the heading to listen to some of their music.

And, if you care, I'm also recommending Pete Yorn's Music For the Morning After (acoustic rock), the Futureheads News and Tributes (Brit pop), and The Black Keys Magic Potion (heavy blues). Merry freakin' Christmas.

No comments: