27 December 2006

How to scam a scammer

Last week I was contacted by someone in Ivory Coast via facebook telling me that they wanted me to help them get over $9 million out of the country. They wanted me to invest it here and I would get a handsome compensation for my efforts. First, she told me that her father had died this summer in Lebanon, and then in another email, she told me that he died in Ivory Coast. I called her on it and she said that she was having a "translator problem". I guess Lebanon and Ivory Coast sound the same in her country. You would think by this time, that people would have given up on this scam after the many years it has been exposed.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the next step in drawing this out. She wants my contact information (which I will not divulge) and my phone number. Should I give her bogus information, or should I keep asking questions? Should I try to witness to her? Or should I try to scam her? I have some very creative friends out there. Any comments or suggestions would be great.

2 comments:

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Hey Joshy!

I tried asking questions of a scammer once. Apparently, I had won the British Lottery--without ever playing it. The "asking questions" plan didn't work so well for me; they wouldn't answer back. I was very sad about the whole thing, since I was up for a lively debate. Perhaps the Lebanese/Ivory Coastian scammers enjoy good dialogue more than the British ones.

I think Jesus would prefer that you didn't scam back...just a hunch :-) It reminds me of a quote from MLK, Jr. in his LETTER FROM BIRMINGHAM JAIL: "Over the past few years I have consistently preached that nonviolence demands that the means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek. I have tried to make clear that it is wrong to use immoral means to attain moral ends." Guess I have MLK Jr. on the brain because of the holiday coming up (and I am using this occasion to have a lock-in...getting way too old for this stuff!!).

I will be praying for your car doors...for a miraculous recovery.

Be blessed, my friend!
Tina

lo zucchero said...

Well, apparently I am not as nice as your other friends and don't turn to God for everything. Personally, I would take this girl for a ride. (I really do think Jesus would get a kick out of it too...) I think that giving bogus information is tricky because you don't want to give out someone else's real information. (Which happens a lot of the time when girls give out a wrong number to guys trying to pick them up.)There is definitely many ways to go about this dilemma. You could open a new email account or have a "friend" on facebook try to scam her into something else. I really don't know! The possibilities are endless!