06 December 2007

Evicted From the Office


Monday morning I was greeted at the office with the news that I had been evicted from my office, the only office that I had ever occupied in my life. I wasn't too distraught, but images of the movie Office Space and Milton did come to mind:


"They moved my desk 4 times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels and they were married, but then they moved my desk and they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler."


Now, replace squirrels with yellow finches and the whole stapler fiasco, and that's my situation. My office wasn't all that exciting, but it was mine. The only detractor was that I not only had a window to the outside, but everyone in the office had a window into my particular office. I was located at the intersection next to the kitchen area, so everyone and their offspring could come by on their way to get coffee and watch me work through the window, as if I were some sort of chimp on display, flinging poo everywhere.


So, at the end of my Monday I said goodbye to my cage and moved to a cubicle next to the copier/fax machine area and conference room. No more privacy. But I was moved to a corner of the office and there's much less traffic. So no one comes by anymore to watch me work. And, I discovered that I really have more desk space and more room to move around than I did at the zoo. A few desk lamps, a calendar and a ceramic Christmas tree later and I was getting compliments on how nice my cubicle was. Someone even said that it was nicer than my old office. Go figure. I won't burn the building down after all.

No comments: