26 May 2007

Don't Mess With Fletch!


I think we could all agree that Fletch is one of the greatest movies of all time. It's got everything: Chevy Chase, Norm from "Cheers", great music, high speed car chases, basketball dream sequences, and great lines like: "Oh, thank God...its the police" and "Could I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo" and my favorite: "Look, defenseless babies!"


I also assumed that the rest of the world agreed with me. But today I found this article that disagrees with me: http://www.slate.com/id/2166941?nav=ais. Well, disagrees is too light of a word. This guy actually hates this movie. It makes him angry. Even though I've read the article, I still can't understand why he hates it so. I can understand his arguments, but really...how could you hate this movie? Why is he putting so much thought into this movie? Is it really necessary? Is he related to Mr. Underhill?
When I was 15 (when the movie came out) I don't remember thinking, "Wow. Fletch has a big problem with rich, conservative authority figures. I think he's reacting to the recent re-election of Ronald Reagan and the unnerving decline of liberalism. Somebody should say something." I just enjoyed the movie. And I still do.

No comments: